The other day I heard from a friend of mine who has become a humanist/agnostic. I don't know why his beliefs changed from when we were youth. This person is someone I "grew up" with during my teen years, that I worhipped side-by-side with. These days we sometimes exchange thoughts on facebook. This time, he messaged me with his thoughts on life in response to one of my comments. Then, he graciously asked me what I believe.
Here is what I responded to him. I don't think it is eloquent, but it's from my heart. (We were specifically discussing the viewpoint many Christians may have of the afterlife as a reason to ignore earthly problems.)
Thanks for sharing and for asking me about my beliefs. I very much believe in this world. I believe in trees, sky, animals and earth. What a beautiful place it is. Just as I see the wind moving across the branches outside my window, in my inmost being (soul) I know there is something behind this world, who breathed it into existence. It is a Creator Being, a Spirit who is Holy. I still believe the Bible, too. Shocking, but that's what I believe.
I believe Love is the Strongest Force. It will be shown to be stronger and more real than the realest real on this planet.
I believe much of what is believed as Christianity in our country is distorted. We have much to learn. I would turn to a thinker like C.S. Lewis to explain what I believe rather than most of the so-called christian leaders in this country. He said something like this: If in this world I can find nothing that satisfies this desire inside me, I must conclude that I was not made for this world.
I agree with your sentiment that we should stop comments, criticisms, etc. unless we are committed to making change occur ourselves. I highly agree that unless we're willing to do the work, we should shut up and stop judging others for things we perceive as ills. I abhor the hypocricy of the churches in this country and of many christians. I would even say I abhor the hypocrisy I see in myself.
However, nothing man can do can drown out the Love of God displayed in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, the Messiah.
We should not place our HOPE in this world. (Paraphrased from the Bible.) We are in this world just a short time, we are here today and gone tomorrow. Let's work to change what is wrong, leave the world a better place... but be careful that when it is through, we haven't missed the very thing we were here for.
Isn't it amazing that through the internet, your thoughts/writings can enter the world and you never know how or when God will use those to help somebody else?
ReplyDeleteThank you for following my blog. I checked this out from your profile...and this post was very timely for me as I have been talking to some people who have changed their beliefs recently. I love your response. Keep writing when you get the chance. Big hugs.