Sunday, June 27, 2010

India Trip Phase One: Arrival

We flew for nine hours straight to Paris, then another nine to Mumbai. We landed late and had a connecting flight... and then, Pastor Keith couldn't find his luggage... and soon, Mark and I couldn't find Pastor Keith. So, we were stuck in Mumbai for more hours than we care to remember. We finally found each other, got on another flight to Hyderabad and arrived around 12 noon on Friday, June 10th. Total jet lag and disorientation notwithstanding, I was thrilled to be back in India. The Hyderabad Airport was completely new since my last visit, but the teeming mass of people waiting as we left the airport seemed familiar... By now, our team had gelled very well. Pastor Keith, our fearless leader, was visiting Hyderabad for the second time as well, and had known our hosts for many years. Mark A. was visiting India for the first time, but had recently visited Afghanistan as a ANG Chaplain. And me. I was, as I mentioned, just thrilled to be on this trip to my adopted heartland. We were supposed to have been joined by two other ladies from our church, but Lisa and her daughter Presley were denied visas. We held out hope that they would be able to travel to us late... to no avail. We rested and re-oriented for one night at a posh rooms that Lisa had generously reserved for us. By Saturday we were ready to dive into meeting our hosts, Bishop John and Theeba Gollapalli. Also, Pastor Keith (PK) had promised that one of the first things we would do on Saturday was SHOPPING...

This was a treat, especially because I was immediately welcomed by Bishop John's daughter Irene and daughter-in-law Deena. I enjoyed hearing about their families (they married each other's brothers) and their knowledge of Indian shopping techniques. "You must act irritated." ~Irene I love these sisters! They helped me purchase saris and a punjabi so that I could look "smart" and perhaps blend in just a bit more.

Next post: Sunday service in a sari.

No comments:

Post a Comment