Tuesday, July 13, 2010

India Trip Phase Two: Agape Centre (Sunday)

Sunday morning we were driven to the Agape Centre, in Secunderabad. Driving in India is not for the faint of heart. Thankfully, we were chauffered all week by Brother Moses (pictured with Mark.)
I was excited to see Agape, which I had heard so much about from Pastor Keith. This is where all the action happens: orphanage homes, the church, ministry base. I really didn't know as much as I wanted to about this place, but I imagined children running everywhere.


When we arrived Sunday service had already begun; however, we were taken to Bishop's office for tea. Here I met Sister Gladys and Sister Sureka, who helped me into my sari for the service. Both sisters were very gracious to me. They arranged my sari properly. For them the wrapping and pleating was very easy and natural. However, I don't think I could repeat the action in a way that would make me comfortable. I would need a few months of practice, at least. Then, they helped me put my hair back so that jasmine could be placed there. A garland of jasmine in your hair is much better than any perfume! Not to mention, it is absolutely beautiful to look at. Before entering the church, we removed our sandles. The ladies sit on one side of the church, and the men across the aisle. We were welcomed with huge garlands of flowers draped around our necks. They honored us on stage so generously and sincerely. Pastor Keith greeted and thanked the congregation, and gave the teaching previewing his further messages on Ephesians. As it was Father's Day in India, the children honored their fathers. Two precious orphan girls gave flowers to Pastor Keith and Brother Mark.

After service was over we were taken back to the office and Bishop John spoke with us until we were taken to lunch at his home. I met Bishop's wife Theeba (Tee-bah) who manages the children's homes. As I learned later in the week, this godly woman works tirelessly to keep the homes running smoothly on schedule, caring for the house-parents' needs as they often arise. We also met and ate lunch with Bishop's son Dexter, Deena's husband.
I was the only lady seated with the men. Gladys was filling our plates. Mrs. Theeba and Deena were eating somewhere else. This made me slightly uncomfortable, but they insisted I sit at the table and be served throughout the week. As a mom, who usually is the one to serve my family (though often without a generous spirit) this was just one example to me of the culture of honor that these Christians exemplify. They were constantly giving, serving and honoring us, beyond my sparse definition of hospitality. The idea of honor was a theme that stayed with me throughout my time in India.

1 comment:

  1. Liz, what an amazing experience! So great to hear about it.

    Love & miss you!

    Su

    ReplyDelete